The Conover Piano Company was established in about 1880 by brothers J. Frank and George Conover. Originally located in Kansas City, Missouri, the firm was known as Conover Brothers. By 1890, both brothers had relocated to Chicago to take advantage of the booming piano manufacturing industry there. In 1890, the famous Cable Piano Company of Chicago consolidated with Conover Brothers. Shortly thereafter, the firm acquired the Schiller Piano Company, using both Conover and Schiller instruments as their ‘top of the line’ models. The Cable Piano Company was widely celebrated as a maker of fine instruments, and they were a major contributor to the American piano industry at large. Cable built a number of brand names including Kingsbury, Wellington, Schiller, Conover, and Euphona player pianos.